Our Athletic Department has gone through a great deal of effort in trying to educate our Student-Athletes on the various requirements/rules for college eligibility. Information is located on bulletin boards in each Varsity Locker Room, outside the AD Office and in the Guidance Office. It has been talked about in Pre-Season Parent Meetings and we have devoted an entire tab to College Information at the top of goportageindians.com
Student-Athletes (and parents), if you are considering participating in sports at the collegiate level, be sure you are aware of the new requirements that are in place beginning with the HS graduating class of 2016. Please note, that these requirements below are for NCAA D-1 eligibility which has the most stringent requirements. The NCAA, NAIA and NJCAA each have their own eligibility requirements.
To be eligible to practice, compete and receive athletics scholarships in your first full-time year at a Division I school, you must graduate high school and meet ALL the following requirements:
1) Complete 16 NCAA core courses: (List of eligible NCAA approved PHS Core Courses can be accessed on the College Info tab)
- Four years of English;
- Three years of math (Algebra 1 or higher);
- Two years of natural/physical science (including one year of lab science if your high school offers it);
- Two years of social science;
- One additional year of English, math or natural/physical science; and
- Four additional years of English, math, natural/physical science, social science, foreign language,comparative religion or philosophy
2) Complete 10 core courses, including seven in English, math or natural/physical
science, before the start of your seventh semester. Once you begin your seventh
semester, you may not repeat or replace any of those 10 courses for GPA improvement.
3) Earn at least a 2.3 GPA in your NCAA approved core courses (This is NOT your overall HS GPA).
4) Earn an SAT combined score or ACT sum score (see chart below) that matches your
core-course GPA on the Division I sliding scale for students enrolling on or after August 1,
Note: Test scores will be calculated using the math and verbal subsections of the SAT and the sum of the math, science, english and reading subsections of the ACT. The writing component of the ACT or SAT will not be used to determine your qualifier status
|NCAA Div I SAT/ACT Sliding Scale (class of 2016 and later)|
|Core GPA||SAT Full Qualifier||ACT* Full Qualifier||SAT Redshirt||ACT* Redshirt|
Information on NAIA and NJCAA requirements as well as additional information on NCAA requirements and helpful recruiting information can be found under the College Information tab on goportageindians.com.